Extraordinary Double Barrelled 15-bore Sporting Gun Commissioned by Charles Gordon
With 31 ¾ inch browned Damascus sighted barrels, concave rib inscribed “JOHN DICKSON & SON 63 PRINCES STREET, EDINBURGH”, scroll engraved case hardened breech with two gold lines, gold-lined touch holes, scroll engraved case hardened breech block and tang with gold line, signed scroll engraved case hardened bevel edged locks with stepped squared tails, case hardened cocks engraved en suite, roller frizzens, beautifully figured walnut half stock with chequered grip, blued steel mounts including finely engraved trigger guard and butt plate, original brass tipped ramrod with capped charge removal screw; original maker’s oak case fitted and lined in green baize with all the original and apparently unused accessories including leather shot flask, leather covered G & J.W. Hawksley powder flask, two turn screws, wad cutter, two piece cleaning rod in its leather sheath, double ended Hawksley shot charger marked 1oz, carved ivory dog whistle (complete with pea!) and 2 leather flint wallets each containing 6 flints one also containing 6 leather patches and a combination tool. The whole set in exceptional unfired and almost as new condition.
Notes: John Dickson established his business in Edinburgh in 1820 and became one of the best gunmakers in Scotland with an impressive client list including Lord Byron. The company gained fame with its round action shotgun patented in 1882 by which time muzzle loaded guns, particularly flintlocks had become obsolete.
The famous Scottish eccentric Charles Gordon bought a total of 229 brand new top quality guns, rifles and pistols from John Dickson & Son. He never fired any of them. Only 9 flintlock guns were made and this is possibly the best of them. Gordon was declared of unsound mind in 1908 and his collection was sold at auction in Edinburgh where this outstanding gun made a hammer price of just 5 guineas!
See “Charles Gordon, Magnificent Madness” by Donald Dallas (ISBN 978 1 84689 073 4)