A Fine Cased Pair of Carbine bore Officers' Pistols
With browned 8¾ inch smooth-bore round barrels, flat sighting planes, the left hand sides stamped with Hyderabad arsenal numbers, bead fore-sights, standing notch rear-sights to the engraved tangs, border and scroll engraved breech-blocks with traces of colour, gold touch holes, border, trophy and foliate engraved colour-hardened locks signed ‘T.J. MORTIMER, ST JAMES ST’, sliding safeties behind the engraved pierced cocks, rain-proof pans and roller frizzens, walnut half-stocks with chequered bag-shaped pistol-grips, vacant rectangular silver wrist escutcheons, border and scroll engraved trigger-guards with ball finials, silver rectangular take-down wedge escutcheons, horn fore-end tips set triggers and captive stirrup iron ramrods, together with their original brass-mounted mahogany case, lined in green baize with accessories including cleaning rod, ball mould, powder flask and a wad-punch. London proof marks.
Note; Thomas Jackson Mortimer (1781-1833) was the son of Thomas (1755-1824) and the nephew of Harvey Walklate (1753-1819) and worked with both of them from his apprenticeship in 1795 until setting up on his own at 21 St. James’s Street in 1816. He became a Gun Maker to His Majesty in 1822 and was the fourth member of the famous Mortimer gun making family to be so honoured,