A Very Good Cased Pair of 28-bore Duelling Pistols
Each pistol with 10 inch browned sighted octagonal barrel engraved on the top flat “Jas. WILKINSON GUN MAKER TO HIS MAJESTY”, with gold breech line and touch hole, finely engraved tang incorporating the rear sight, flat bevel edged lock with stepped tail and sliding safety catch engraved with the maker’s name, French style cock semi rain proof pan and roller frizzen, figured walnut full stock with chequered butt, steel mounts including engraved spurred trigger guard with pineapple finial, set trigger, brass tipped ramrod, one with worm the other lacking; in their original fitted mahogany cased lined in green baize with accessories including loading rod, ball mould and fine red leather covered two way flask, the interior of the lid with maker’s early trade label with “Capt. …Jones” written in ink in one corner. London proof marks.
Note: As the trade label proclaims James Wilkinson was Henry Nock’s successor and son in law. He was appointed Gunmaker-in-Ordinary to George III and contractor to the East India Company in 1805. He traded under his own name from 17 Ludgate Hill from 1806-17 and was then joined by his son Henry to form James Wilkinson & Son (1818-52). The firm then became Wilkinson & Son which is still in business today as Wilkinson Sword.